Heat stroke is a serious heat-related illness that requires immediate medical attention. Death or serious disability can result if symptoms are not brought to the attention of a medical professional. After exposure to extreme heat for extended periods, the body loses its ability to cool down naturally through sweating and evaporative cooling
. Think of a thermostat in your house...If it breaks, there is no way to control the temperature of a room.
Symptoms of Heat Stroke
- Severe headache
- Hot, dry skin without sweat
- High pulse rate
- High body temperature
- Slurred speech or hallucinations
If you suspect heat stroke...
- Seek medical attention immediately
- Get to a cool location
- Remove clothing and apply cool (but not too cold) water to the skin
- Keep cool air circulating
See Also: Reader Responses - How Do You Keep Cool in the Summer?
Related Terms: Heat exhaustion
Also Known As: Sunstroke or Sun stroke